Beginners Next Steps
I often get the following questions from beginner bass players:
- I have learned some scales and I can play some songs, what should I practice next?
- How do I learn the fretboard?
- How should I practice the modes?
I teach the modes in a step by step method in my book, but the following suggestions are the condensed version.
- Learn & practice how to play every note on the fretboard that is in the major scale (see video below).
- Learn & practice connecting the Positions (see video playlist below).
- Study how it sounds to play the major scale starting and ending on different scale tones (see chart below).
- Study how the modes fit within the major scale (see fretboard graphic).
- Practice the modes with chords and listen to how they sound (see video playlist below).
#1 Every Fretboard Position in the Major Scale
#2 Connecting the Positions (playlist)
#3 Study How it Sounds from each Scale Tone
#4 Study how each mode fits in the Positions
#5 Practice with Chords (playlist)
Obviously this is the cliffs notes version, so good luck!
For a more detailed explanation, check out my eBook entitled Fretboard Visualization. Learn a step by step process to memorizing the whole fretboard, modes, and music theory. Take the next step to becoming a better bass player and musician.
A Thought Process & Mode Theory for Bass Guitar